Amish Bread Pudding
2 cups whole milk (or 2 cups half & half)
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (french bread works best)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture.
3. Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
4. Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.
5. Bake at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
Note: If you make the sauce to put on top of your bread pudding, adjust the sugar in the bread pudding recipe, change it to 1/3 cup (the sauce has the other 1/3 c)
For Sauce: Mix everything together and bring to boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding.