Bacon Cheddar Cornbread
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 strips bacon, chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 cup mild shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon sage
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with butter.
2. Chop bacon into small pieces and fry until crisp, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
3. Whisk melted butter, sugar, milk and eggs together in a bowl.
4. In a seperate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
5. Gently stir dry flour mixture into the wet ingredients until combined, do not over-mix.
6. Fold in cheese, bacon, herbs and corn with a spatula until incorporated.
7. Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 30 minutes, topping with extra cheese after 20 minutes. Bread is cooked when the middle is set and the edges are golden brown.