Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion minced
- 2 gloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2lbs russet potatoes peeled and sliced into about 1/8" thick rounds
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the foaming subsides.
- Add onion and cook while stirring occasionally until lightly browned and soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for about another 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, cream, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8"x8" baking dish and press into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with cheese.
- Bake in oven about 16 minutes until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.