Amish Wash Day Dinner
by Lehman's Country Life
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 can tomato juice (store-bought or home-canned)
- Sliced sausage (country-style or Italian)
- boiling water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a roasting pan or dutch oven, melt butter in the pan and line the bottom with a layer of onion.
- Place potatoes on top of onion.
- Sift flour over potatoes.
- Pour tomato juice over all and cover with sliced sausage.
- Add boiling water to cover and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake slowly at 300 degrees for 3 hours. Turn meat if it gets too brown.
Adapted from AmishCooks.com