Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet
2 pounds fully cooked polska kielbasa, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 large sweet onion, cut into large pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons dijon or brown grainy mustard
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high and add kielbasa.
- Cook, without stirring for 1 minute. Then stir occasionally for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan with some of the rendered kielbasa fat, add the cabbage, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the vinegar and mustard; add the sausage back to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes to heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve immediately on its own or over mashed potatoes.